HYANNIS, Mass. -- Cape Cod businessman and gubernatorial candidate Christy Mihos will not run for the Senate seat vacated by the late Edward M. Kennedy, according to a spokesperson for his campaign. Media outlets including CSP Daily News reported last week that convenience store executive Mihos was considering such a run.
"He's making it clear today that he is remaining in the governor's race," Kevin Sowyrda, communications director for the Mihos campaign for governor, told The Cape Cod Times.
On Tuesday word leaked out that Mihos was considering a run for the Senate seat up for grabs in a January 19 special election after being approached by national Republican leaders. Kennedy died August 25 of brain cancer at his Hyannisport, Mass., home. A public hearing is being held today by the state legislature to consider whether his seat should be filled on an interim basis until the special election, the report said.
Sowyrda added that while Mihos says the state needs a strong senator and believes strongly that the health care reform being proposed by President Barack Obama is "full of holes," his campaign was back on the trail seeking to oust Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick.
Mihos, who once operated convenience stores throughout eastern Massachusetts and most recently sold almost a dozen of his Cape stores to Hess, first ran for governor as an independent against Patrick in 2006, the report said. To run head to head against Patrick this time around he must first defeat former Harvard Pilgrim Health Care President Charles Baker in the Republican primary, it added.
(Click here for previous CSP Daily News coverage.)