C-Stores, Gas Well-Represented on Top Private Firms List
At No. 6, Pilot ranks highest among industry companies in Forbes ranking
Published in CSP Daily News
NEW YORK -- More than a dozen convenience store and gas station chains and fuel distribution companies were among the 220 firms that made Forbes magazine's 28th annual list of the largest private companies in the United States.
Combined revenues for all 220 firms were up 12% to $1.49 trillion for 2012, compared to revenues of $1.33 trillion in 2011 and $1.35 trillion in 2010.
The list includes only firms with revenue greater than $2 billion.
Industry companies include:
- Pilot Flying J, Knoxville, Tenn.; Sales: $29.23 billion (No. 6).
- Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores, Oklahoma City; Sales: $22.04 billion (No. 9).
- QuikTrip, Tulsa, Okla.; Sales: $10.77 billion (No. 26).
- Cumberland Farms, Framingham, Mass.; Sales: $9.8 billion (No. 30).
- RaceTrac Petroleum, Atlanta; Sales: $9.06 billion (No. 36).
- Wawa, Wawa, Pa.; Sales: $8.46 billion (No. 40).
- Sinclair Oil, Salt Lake City; Sales: $7.75 billion (No. 43).
- Mansfield Oil, Gainesville, Ga.; Sales: $6.6 billion (No. 54).
- Sheetz, Altoona, Pa.; Sales: $5.75 billion (No. 61).
- Colonial Group (Enmark), Savannah, Ga.; Sales: $5.46 billion (No. 64).
- Red Apple Group, New York; Sales: $4 billion (No. 97).
- Holiday Cos., Bloomington, Minn.; Sales: $3.9 billion (No. 101).
- Truman Arnold Cos., Texarkana, Texas; Sales: $3.24 billion (No. 130).
- Kum & Go, West Des Monies, Iowa; Sales: $2.61 billion (No. 173).
The list also includes many firms in industries related to convenience and gasoline, including grocery and distribution companies such as HE Butt (No. 12), Meijer (No. 15), Giant Eagle (No. 29), Hy-Vee (No. 49), Wegmans (No. 55), Eby-Brown (No. 78), Save Mart (No. 80), HT Hackney (No. 103), Stater Bros. (No. 105), Golub (No. 123), Demoulas (No. 127), Ben E Keith (No. 137), Raley's (No. 152), Houchens Industries (N0. 155), Schnucks (No. 182), Tops Markets (No. 191), Brookshire Grocery (No. 192), K-VA-T Food Stores (No. 210), HP Hood (No. 215), ShopKo (No. 218) and Smart & Final (No. 219).
Mars (No. 3), Hostess (No. 181) and Kraft (No. 211) also made the list.
Click here to view the complete list with profiles and additional financial details.