Walgreens Debuts L.A. Flagship Store at Corner of Sunset & Vine
Drugstore chain's 8,000th location reflects character of Hollywood (slideshow)
Published in CSP Daily News
DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Walgreens opened its 8,000th store nationwide and its first flagship store on the West Coast, located in Los Angeles at the iconic corner of Sunset and Vine on Dec. 1.
"We are thrilled to locate our milestone 8,000th store and latest flagship store at such a famous intersection as we bring a format unlike any traditional drugstore to the Hollywood community," said Joe Magnacca, Walgreens president of daily living products and solutions. "Walgreens aims to be America's first choice for health and daily living, and we look forward to providing an exceptional experience for our customers as we help them get, stay and live well."
Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said, "I'm very proud that Walgreens has chosen Los Angeles for its milestone 8,000th store, and is providing Hollywood residents with more access to pharmacy, health and wellness services. This flagship location brings not only a unique retail offering to this community, but also additional jobs and economic investment that help build a vibrant neighborhood."
The store's expanded features include:
- An enhanced pharmacy designed to encourage greater interaction between pharmacists and patients. Team member "health guides" will help pharmacy customers navigate a wide range of health and wellness products, services and resources including immunizations and health tests. The pharmacy also features an "Ask Your Pharmacist" desk, consultation rooms and Express Rx kiosks for swift checkout.
- A wide variety of fresh hand-rolled sushi and sashimi prepared daily.
- An Upmarket Cafe offering a barista preparing fresh brewed premium coffee, espressos, as well as iced and frozen options.
- A juice and smoothie bar featuring fresh fruits and vegetables included in the 24 distinct recipes available. Customers can also enjoy eight flavors of self-serve frozen yogurt accompanied by an enticing toppings bar.
- Hundreds of fresh food items including produce and high-quality, on-the-go meal options such as wraps, sandwiches and salads made fresh daily.
- A best-in-class wine selection boasting more than 700 fine wines that will pair well with the store's assortment of artisan and brie cheeses as well as specialty meats, chocolates and more. A Beverage Wizard kiosk provides food and beverage pairing recommendations.
- A LOOK Boutique beauty department featuring dozens of prestige and niche cosmetic, skincare and hair care brands not typically found in drugstores. The LOOK Boutique also will have specially trained beauty advisors on hand to offer guidance finding the best solutions for individual needs. Expert shaping and grooming services will be available at the Eyebrow Bar.
- A Coca-Cola Freestyle machine dispensing 130 varieties of Coca Cola fountain drinks.
During the flagship and 8,000th store ribbon cutting ceremony, Walgreens acknowledged World AIDS Day and the company's involvement in treating and preventing HIV/AIDS by presenting a $10,000 donation to Charles Drew University in recognition of its HIV-related programming and outreach.
The store will be open 24 hours every day with pharmacy hours from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Saturdays and 10:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Sundays.
As the nation's largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2012 sales of $72 billion, Deerfield, Ill.-based Walgreens vision is to become "America's first choice for health and daily living." The company operates drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Take Care Health Systems is a Walgreens subsidiary that is the largest and most comprehensive manager of worksite health and wellness centers and in-store convenient care clinics, with more than 700 locations throughout the country.