Nielsen Names Breakthrough Innovation Winners for 2013
Published in CSP Daily News
Honors diverse selection of consumer product introductions
PHOENIX-- Nielsen, a leading global provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, has announced the 14 Breakthrough Innovation Winners for 2013.
Nielsen analyzed 3,439 new U.S. consumer product introductions from 2011-2013 to determine which products demonstrated breakthrough results. That analysis, combined with prior research on more than 14,000 new launches from 2009-2013, led to the conclusions and recommendations found in the Breakthrough Innovation Report.
The products include:
- Allegra Allergy.
- Colgate Optic White.
- Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt.
- Downy UNSTOPABLES In Wash Scent Booster.
- Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownies.
- Magnum Ice Cream.
- Milo's Kitchen Home-Style Dog Treats.
- MiO Liquid Water Enhancer.
- Monster Rehab.
- Velveeta Cheesy Skillets.
- Reese's Minis.
- Skinny Cow Candy.
- Sparkling ICE.
- Special K Cracker Chips.
Nielsen is presenting the winners with their award at its Consumer 360 event in Phoenix on June 4.
"What's fascinating about this year's Breakthrough Innovation Award winners is their diversity," said Rob Wengel, senior vice president of innovation for Nielsen. "No matter the industry or category, Breakthrough Innovation is possible where there is a vision for innovation, pervasive leadership to drive support and alignment throughout the organization to make it happen."
This is the second year that Nielsen has presented the award. To earn the title of Breakthrough Innovation Winner, a product needed to satisfy three requirements:
- Distinctiveness: Does it deliver a new value proposition to the market?
- Relevance: Did this product generate year-one U.S. sales of $50 million or greater in Nielsen-measured channels (food, drug, convenience, dollar, club and mass merchandise)?
- Endurance: Will this product achieve at least 90% of year-one sales in year two? This measure confirms a sustained level of consumer demand while allowing for some revenue consolidation during the transition from trial to repeat.
"Breakthrough Innovation companies achieve uncommon results because of their ability to pursue, shape, develop, and activate insights that deliver what consumers demand," said Taddy Hall, senior vice president of Nielsen. "These winners challenged convention and triumphed by expanding or transforming categories. It is through their unencumbered, demand-driven development that Breakthrough Winners create visible separation from the pack."
Nielsen Holdings is a global information and measurement company for marketing and consumer information, TV and other media measurement, online intelligence, mobile measurement, trade shows and related properties. Nielsen has headquarters in New York City and Diemen, the Netherlands.